Business Immigration to Canada
If you are a business person or manager looking to immigrate to Canada, the Business/Investor Immigration Program may be an important Canadian immigration option for you.
Business Immigration seeks to attract individuals with business and/or managerial experience who will contribute to the development of the Canadian economy.
If you’re looking to make an investment in Canada or to start/acquire a business in Canada, there are several avenues for you to choose from. You can either apply under the federal program or, if you know which province/territory in which you plan to reside, you can make your business immigration investment through one of the provincial business immigration programs.
Provincial Nomination Program (PNP) Business Immigration
Many other Canadian provinces have business immigration programs under their Provincial Nomination Programs.
A. British Columbia Provincial Nomination Program (BC PNP) ENTREPRENEUR IMMIGRATION
- Invest $200,000
- Create at least one job. At least two years of post secondary qualification.
- Net Worth need to be at least $600,000.
Steps to proceed:
- Registration online with a Business Concept
- Application with a Business Plan
- Nominated by BC PNP
- Application with Canada Immigration Centre (CIC)
Preparation is to know where and what you want to do with your business in BC. Looking at different points gained from your working experience or business experience, personal asset, qualifications and English ability. You can decide which part of BC, suit you better.
Business concept or Business Plan is done by an accredited Business plan writer (PNPBizPlan) to make your application with BC PNP a successful application.
Once, your Business concept and Business plan is accepted, you have to come to BC to build your business and when nominated by BC PNP, you can apply for Permanent Resident of Canada.
B. Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) Entrepreneur
SINP Entrepreneur category uses the system of Expression of Interest (EOI) to select candidates from the pool of applicants.
Once selected, an Invitations to Apply (ITA) letters will be issued and inviting them to submit a formal online application to the SINP Entrepreneur category.
Candidates whose EOIs have not been selected will continue to be eligible for selection and will remain in the EOI pool for a period of one year from date of submission.
Three eligibility criteria in the SINP Entrepreneur Category that you must meet to be selected and approved:
- A minimum net worth of $500,000 Canadian Dollars (CAD) that can be verified.
- Accumulation of net worth through legal means, which can be verified.
- Minimum three years entrepreneurial or relevant business management experience.
If you are approved by the SINP – Entrepreneur Category, in order to earn a nomination for permanent residency you will be required to:
- Invest a minimum of $300,000 (CAD) in Regina and Saskatoon or a minimum of $200,000 (CAD) in all other Saskatchewan communities;
- Establish a business that aligns with the points assigned in the Entrepreneur Category Points Grid, if applicable (for investment amount and sector);
- Own at least one third (33 1/3%) of the equity of a business in Saskatchewan unless your total investment is $1 million CAD or higher;
- Provide active and on-going participation in the day to day management and direction of the business; and
- If you are establishing a new business in Regina or Saskatoon, create two employment opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents in Saskatchewan (non-relative workers).
Once SINP nominated you, you can then apply for Permanent Residency with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
C. Manitoba PNP (MPNP-B) Business
to qualify for the MPNP-B, interested applicants must:
- have a minimum verifiable personal net worth of CDN$350,000;
- have a minimum three years of successful business ownership and management experience or a minimum three years of executive-level experience as senior manager of a business; and
- score a minimum of 60 points in the Adaptability Assessment Matrix.
The applicant must also be prepared to:
- attend an interview with a MPNP-B officer;
- make an Eligible Business Investment in Manitoba; and
- reside in Manitoba along with his/her dependent family members.
- Invest $150,000
- Exploratory Visit to Manitoba is needed.
D. Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP)
Under the 100% Ownership Stream, the applicant must:
- Possess a minimum verifiable personal net worth of $600,000.
- Possess a minimum education of high-school equivalent.
- Age of 21-59 years old at the time of application.
- Have transferable management skills and past employment.
- Have scored a minimum band score of 4.0 on the IELTS within the last 2 years.
- Provide a detailed business plan for 100% business ownership that falls within an eligible sector and meets all program criteria in place at the time of application.
- Provide active and on-going management of the business from within Prince Edward Island.
- Sign an escrow agreement containing stipulations on a deposit of $200,000 to be held by the Province until terms of the agreement have been met.
- Make a minimum of $150,000 investment into a new or existing Prince Edward Island owned and operated business. All transactions must conform to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
If an applicant meets all program criteria in place at application time and is approved, a nomination certificate will be issued.
The escrow agreement talks about the terms and conditions that must be met for the refund of the $200,000 CAD deposit. The terms and conditions are based on the applicant’s intentions as outlined in the business plan for start up or the purchase of a business in Prince Edward Island.